Thursday, January 22, 2009

Celebrate Obamarama with a SLINO Trifoiler


I have been out of the moth scene for 18months and finally got around to reading this thread:
http://www.moth.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1740

For those who don't click it, it suggests revising the rules to make the fleet less restrictive. Key rules being questioned are:

  • no multihulls/wing mounted foils
  • sail area/number of sails/sailboard rigs
  • sliding seat / trapeze
  • restrict to one configuration
I am still not sure which side of the fence I sit on. While I agree with all of mashmosh's comments, our current designs are very elegant and race friendly.

For kicks, and to try to sort out what I believe in, I sketched this.



  • Trifoiler arrangment with curved foils
  • Asymetrical wing sail, C class cat style
  • Longitudinally sliding seat.
  • Fits within the current box and sail area rules
  • The main hull is a SLINO
  • The outriggers are 37% scales of slino
  • Haven't done any engineering of this arrangment, other than positioning the CL of the wing in line with the lifting foils
If anything drawing this makes me more uncertain of which way to go. It looks like a pig, but I am very curious how it would perform. The moth platform looks too short and too narrow to work but who knows? The good thing about a self stabilizing arrangment is it can be model tested. One day maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment