Tuesday, April 7, 2009

SECOND SAIL

Took (tba) out for another sail on sunday. I survived about twice as long, but was a wreck when I got back into shore. (Holleywell, QLD 17kts SSE, 26.7 deg.)

Boat still wasn't working. Initially it was doing huge lowriding nosedives - standing right up on its ear. One of those I fell out the back. When I surfaced I noticed the boat hadn't capsized and I needed to go swimming after it. Managed to crawl back onto it without it capsizing. I gave the tillerex one turn, and nosedives was no longer an issue. I was rather surprised how effective the twist is.

The foils were consistantly supporting almost all of the required force, but it only took off completely once in 45mins. Then gave spectacular crash. Leg on sidestay = hurt. Will wear full wettie until i can sail it properly.

N4krkla then had a go. He was too scared of dropping the rig to pull on enuf vang and wasn't cracking off onto bogan reaches. He prolly would have gotten to it, but the tiller universal popped off and we swam it back to shore.

When we were derigging we noticed that my fibreglass rod that the wand pivots on has failed so wand wasn't actuating the foil. Prolly explains why it wasn't inclined to fly.

Interestingly N4rkla commented that the boat was a lot more docile than he was expecting. I am inclined to agree. Probably a combination of good bouancy in the wings, flat sail, low freeboard, and to a lesser extent, dampening in roll provided by the chines.

On a seperate topic, I and I have run the hungry beaver thru a Slender Body resistance package and the correlation to Bill and John's research is surreal. We are formalizing the calcs at the moment and will post the results later this week.

2 comments:

  1. And the jury rigged gantry of Al's didn't break! We'll see how it goes with more foil time soon, although it looked better and more durable than I imagined it would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats to the former amc moth crew minus al. (the new amc/scru-tas moth crew lacks the courage to build our own boats, although there are 3 of us now with 2 boats soon to be 3 when the assassin arrives) the b0n3d w4nd linkage is to be expected early on in development of any DIY boat - replace it with stainless rod is all I can suggest, or just spot a bladerider and rip the linkage off from that if you have a few hours spare to sit down and create sliders and tap the ends of some rods). Hope you get to have a go against tim on my old boat at some stage - would be interested to see how the sistership to mr. "i don't touch down' lister's boat goes against the 'b0n3r p1r4t3' SLINO.

    Al's l337 string on a screw adjuster is amazingly effective - I remember checking it out at the LCSC nats a few years back thinking "who needs a bell crank when all you need is some string and some shocky?" after giving al's tillerex a twist.

    ph34r not, renders of dave li5t3r's boat's pimp bits are coming shortly... just had a lot on this week.

    jon

    ReplyDelete