Tuesday, April 14, 2009

3



Third sail on sunday at Runaway Bay. Started at 12knots before falling to 9kts, SSE, 24.5deg.
Testing new jury rigged wand arrangment.


I went out first and could only manage a few launch+crashes before noticing the paddle had come off. Replacing it with 10mm rope did the trick and it was flying for longer before crashing, but still reluctant to take off.



N4arkla the had a go and almost immediately had it up and going. Flying level. I was on the shore and could easily see the spray peeling off the centreboard. I don't know who was more extatic -him flying it or me seeing it works. He clocked 15kts a few times before the wind fell away and the tide rocketting upwind was too frustrating

(I was too excited to take any photos of him, and he hid the camera)

We suspected the wand was turning off the lift too early (before hull cleared the water) and the linkages were not stiff enough to hold the flap down so after dinner we worked this out:



Unfortunately there was less wind on monday, and rain all day, so I will need to wait before I can test this arrangement.

The weather wrote off the rest of the weekend of sailing, but I and I did have a chance for some mothematics.
  • I and I have had a look over a resistance study by Olav of a systematic variation of Flashearts.
  • I have developed a steady state foil assessment program the determines liftoff speed and resistance at 30kts while allowing you to vary span, chord and lift distribution between rudder and CB.
  • N4rkla added SLino to his resistance study and simulated the response of double linkage wand mechanism.
I and I shall post once once we have cleaned it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment