Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reviewlet: Foiler Performance Calcs

Click here for Foiler Performance Calculations from Alan Smith

EXCITED EXCITED EXCITED!!!!!

Looks rather good.

Haven’t played with it tho.

I don’t think I have a need.

I am more interested in making my own time step simulation.

I think I would do my own foil calcs.

Then compare to beaver’s results.

That would give me time to take off and take off speed.

Then genetic algoritm or brute force parameters to improve existing designs.


The Fxs might be worth referencing/borrowing/stealing, but it is probably in Imperial measurements.

Be interested to see how the self destruct works.

Can't get my password cracker working with Excel07. Need to find an old computer.

In the calcs tab he has max performance criteria:

Fxs > drag (this should be =, unless you want to slow the world or travel forwards in time)

RM/HM > 20 (Should be equal to, unless you want to do barrel rolls, he mults the ratio by 20 for better presentation on graph)

(paraphrase)Induced Drag Rudder / CB Lifter Area = Induced Drag CB / Rudder Area approx equal (don’t know why, and I may be reading it wrong, a little unclear)


Pity he doesn’t find an optimal automated.

I would brute force parameters to find bestest.

12 comments:

  1. norkla you could just shoot him an email instead of blagging on him here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right anon, Markla needs to stop being harsh, he's giving me a bad name...

    More sailing and fitness and less theoretical mothematics (love that term) from you sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's my bloog, i'll say what i want.
    use your profile, others don't know who you (probably) are.

    Seriously tho, I don't think I am being harsh, especially not in the above post.

    Amateur yacht research rarely gets the optunity for critism which is essential in progressing the research. Not to mention I enjoy an extensive review.

    With these posts I am hoping to give good reference information for others wanting to expand on this research. An email to the developer would not achieve this. I accept I haven't got a readable format for this information yet, but I am working on it.

    I alway welcome feedback from the author or others, either here or to my email mr.markla (at) gmail dot com.

    I would sail in preference to blooging if the weather was ok! What's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For another model (controls oriented) I could use a pitch inertia estimate from your Rhino model...do you have panel and tube weights accurately entered in it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might be better to measure the pitch inertia of an actual rigged boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you yet an other one of these pedantic "reviewers". What are your street creds? I mean, last I check, Bill wasn't an amateur. For you to call him that ... you must have a lengthy publication record and lots of your design floating around the world! right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have an email address for Bill or John? We have some stuff happening here based on their report and would like to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wmbeaver (AT) nadn (DOT) navy (DOT) mil should raise bill and Johnz (AT) usna (DOT) edu should get John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jon, i thought you killed that bloog? Thanks for the contacts.

    guillaume, sent you a copy of my cred.

    ameteur yacht research isn't a bad thing and
    the expression was used in general terms above. Most of us interested in the science of moths are passionate "ametures", our core business lies elsewhere. I can't see anyone being a professional moth researcher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah that blooog's dead - and the new one is still gestating while the new boat comes into existance. Just couldn't get google to log into my other account.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha-everyone knows I am chinortiplonth, leader of an entire race of extraterrestials residing within the mast stump of your SLINO! I am the only one who knows all your secrets oh Norkle! There are no amateurs running tow tanks O Snarkla however much they play their efforts down! One more reason to work in government!

    ReplyDelete