Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Windward Heel

Could've sworn I posted this ages ago.

I was wondering why 15 degrees seemed to be about the right windward heel for best performance upwind. Also wondered how much lift was actually required by the foil at such a heel angle and the transverse force balance of a moth at such a heel angle. Was fairly convinced this was all related so I developed a spreadsheet to find the heel angle that balances the vertical and transverse forces determined from the righting moments.



If anyone wants a copy to play with, let me know and I'll email it to you.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Would like to play around a little bit and would be helpful to have this spreadsheet. Any chance you can send me a copy?

    Cheers,

    Jordi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. email through your contact details.

      Delete