Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rapid Prototype

For the last few weeks I've had a Bladerider RX to play with. It has undergone a little bit of minor damage (standard fare for a moth) including busting a plastic spreader base fitting. With no success reaching BR, I tried my hand at something I've wanted to do for awhile...RAPID PROTOTYPING.

Some basic rhino modelling and a couple of ridiculous quotes later ($100s), shapeways came to the rescue. $11.70 for the part, but minimum order of $25(ish) and 10 days later my two spreader end replacements have arrived!

The broken spreader end, the model and the final part.

The material is what they call white, strong and flexible and now that it is in my hand, it seems just about right.

So if you've got no time, tools or skillz for building some small fiddly bit, give rapid prototyping a go. If you've got no modelling skillz, let me know and I can probably whip something together for you (within reason).

Must resist the urge to pimp the boat, but if there is enough interest for certain items I may consider stocking some bits and pieces.

Aside - They can rp metal, glass and sandstone as well!!! Unbelievable stuff!

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with shapeways, my experience is that their service and price have been really good, so they deserve a plug.

No comments:

Post a Comment