Sunday, October 4, 2009

Loosing Less



a club championship race today in perfect breeze. A consistant SE 18kts gusting to 20. The first race in foiling wind I have finished and I seem to be loosing by less.

I got the boat foiling nicely upwind but still got no idea which angle to sail down wind. Whenever I try to hot it up and bear away I loose the pressure in the rig and it becomes rather unstable in heel.

Foiling in amongst a fleet is so much fun. Slotting into gaps between a chain if optmists while doing 3-4 times their speed is extrordinary.

Narkla and I took it out in a gusty westerly yesterday. Patchy with gusts up to 18. Narkla has set a new best speed on the boat of 18.6kts and claims, on his first decent sail to have pulled off a foil gybe and a fast foil touch foil tack. I wouldn't know I was at the crab island bar.

My gps is boned. The foretrex 101 battery compartment has leaked and the terminals are very corroded. I have heard others have had this problem. It's a pity it's a great unit and cheap.

1 comment:

  1. nah, just did a foiling gybe and kissed the water just past dead downwind. The tack was only foiling upto head to wind then back down it came.

    you forgot to add something. lack of fitness, swallowing sea-water and just getting dominated by the heat while mountain biking contributed to me spewing on Leeroy. it washed off pretty quickly...

    ReplyDelete