Tuesday, July 7, 2009

business time

Boat’s odometer is up to 10. Got sick again on Friday afternoon, this time it was blowing 10-20 from due west. Westerlys here are typically patchy and gusty. As I was rigging a number of large bullets came thru being rather intimidating but the max wind speed moderated by the time I hit the water.

The wind was perpendicular to the channel I was sailing in so I got the longest runs to date – 630m – but not very fast. Typically the boat was sailing along level at a constant speed, but as I sailed into a gust the boat would accelerate, fly too high and crash. This is clear from the GPS track below.



I did have a good time and the long runs are very satisfying, but when I got off the water and saw the top speed it was a bit “is that it?!” (14.3kts). Reminded me a bit of this song…



4 comments: