Sunday, June 7, 2009

Lazy Evening - New Wacky Design!

Just some ideas modelled up on a lazy evening at home...aero drag reduction is the name of the game.

Hull is probably a bit too facetted for some ppls tastes, but I like it. Haven't done any drag or take-off assessment of it but I suspect it won't be a front runner.

Iteration 2 will probably run the aft mast support fairing down the sides instead of to a point for structural reasons. Also considering extending the wings fore and aft with a round tube cantilevered from the plank, maybe some netting between them and the hull for a bit more security! It isn't really practical just yet. There'll even be a bonnet for your lunch and keys and a mount for your GPS!




Anyway, off to Markla's for some boat maintenance and maybe a sail this arvo, weather pending. A freak storm just popped up over Brisbane which has put a dampener on mtb plans. The new alloy gantry was put together yesterday, new mast step and base inserts are ready to be installed, alloy cradle is ready for assembly, and I'm sure there'll be some discussion on the new wand linkage ideas. Watch this space.

(Edited title to be exciting!)

6 comments:

  1. Awhile ago I had similar thoughts about an "I" shaped seat for my canoe to permit fore/aft trim without moving the carriage.

    If A-cats can cantilever the main beam, we can surely do this.

    Rgds,
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no major problems with it, but some issues will need to be addressed; mainly the planks strength in torsion, the practicalities of no tramp, and wing bouyancy concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too much freeboard
    ZZZAAAPPP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ouch, that hurts my feelings...and my ballz.

    still 50mm less freeboard than the PM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the free standing wing sail, As much as I want to try one I don't want to have to cart it around anywhere. I'd perhaps move it aft a bit.

    Wings could use being a bit longer, control systems aren’t that good yet (maybe in a few years) unless there’s something you haven't told us about the Slino.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that's one of the bigger concerns with the wing. My current thinking is that it could be broken down into 3 parts to fit into a box trailer. For longer trips it would need to be completely dismantlable.

    There is a lot of talk going into a better control system, but nothing implemented...yet. I think we need to spend more time on the water before pursuing that sort of fine tuning. Markla will hopefully get out tomorrow arvo for a spin, which is a bugger for me because if the weather holds, I may be owing a bottle of red rum. (Is it ten second average or peak speed over 20 knots Mark?)

    ReplyDelete